Create Your Own Healing Green Tea
Have you ever had a desire for a soothing hot tea but you did not have any in the house? Did you reach for soda, hot chocolate, coffee or something else to drink instead? This evening, I wanted some tea but had forgotten to buy it. So I decided to create my own tea with some of the healthy green vegetables in my refrigerator.
Often, in the morning, I create a special green drink using my Magic Bullet blender. I combine whatever greens I have in the house, such as broccoli, spinach, scallions, parsley, cucumber, zucchini, avocado – whatever I have just bought for that week. I usually add a small piece of chopped ginger, some source of fiber, and a small piece of sweet fruit such as apple, banana or berries. Although I know how good this is for me, keeps my system alkaline, I don’t make this drink every day. For me, variety is the spice of life.
Just yesterday I had bought, for the first time, dandelion greens. And lately I have been buying turmeric along with my usual ginger because I have read about the benefits of turmeric to lower inflammation. So I combined some dandelion greens and parsley along with some chopped ginger and chopped turmeric.
Voilá – a delicious tea, and so easy to make. Never realized I could take those same greens I use for a morning green drink and use them for an evening tea. Life is good. Oh, and I used my favorite EzineArticles.com mug which I received for writing 100 Articles in 100 Days.
What are the health benefits of the ingredients in my homemade tea?
- DANDELION GREENS – The nutrients in this one ingredient may reduce the risk of cancer, multiple sclerosis, cataracts, age-related macular degeneration and stroke, and it contains anti-inflammatory properties.
– Calcium. One cup contains 103 milligrams (10% of daily recommended value)
– Iron. One cup contains 1.7 milligrams.
– Antioxidant – High in Beta Carotene and Vitamin A.
– Minerals – Copper, Manganese, Phosphorus, Potassium and Magnesium.
– Protein – One cup contains 1.4 Grams.
– Antioxidant and Anti-inflammatory – Luteolin promotes carbohydrate metabolism and, along with Vitamin C, has anti-inflammatory properties to prevent or alleviate symtpoms of osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
– Anti-Cancer – Myristicin, found in the essential oil of parsley, activates the enzyme glutathione which helps to fight against oxidized molecules.
_Healthy Immune System – Vitamin C and Vitamin A found in parsley help to strength the immune system.
– Healthy Heart – Vitamin K prevents calcium build up that can lead to cardiovascular disease and stroke and Folate converts Homocystein into harmless molecules to prevent heart diseases.
– Delays liver damage
– Reduces levels of heterocyclic amines – carcinogenic compounds found in barbecued, boiled or fried meats
– Curcumin inhibits growth of skin cancer, melanoma, and slows the spread of breast cancer.
– May lower the rate of Alzheimer’s disease in India where it is a daily ingredient in curry dishes.
– Induces cell death in ovarian cancer
– May slow growth of colorectal cancer
– Prevents morning sickness and alleviates nausea
– Reduces pain and inflammation
– Relieves migraines, menstrual cramps and may reduce incidence of diabetic kidney disease
Who knew? I was actually upset that I did not have any of that store bought, simple tea with caffeine. So a small oversight, not remembering to buy tea, has changed my modus operandi probably for the rest of my life. Now I know, with confidence and the intention to keep myself healthy, that I will use my greens not only for a healthy morning green drink but also for a superbly healthy evening tea.
Are YOU Ready to Heal Your Body and Your Relationships?
My Healing Through Love Seminar Series will get you started on the path to creating more loving and fulfilling relationships with loved ones, business associates, family and friends.
Schedule a Session at DrEricaWellness.com
Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to connecting with you again. Please share your thoughts and reactions in the comments below.
Here’s to creating loving, caring, nurturing and truly win-win relationships in your life.